Congratulations to all Warlords Champions and condolences to everyone that lost their challengers… thank you for participating in the challenges… you are among some 20,000+ attempts at the Ironman, Blood Thirsty and Pacifist challenges!
So What Happened?
We did get a feature that no one was expecting. It seems some classes were given blue weapons in the mail. That’s not really a problem; they’re not equipped… no big deal. Some classes logged in to find those weapons EQUIPPED automatically. No mail. No clicking. Just log in and see new Rare weapons equipped. As all challengers know this is certainly a flaggable offense.
Whether you had a weapon equipped on logout before the patch did not matter. I’ve personally had two warriors receive weapons: both had nothing equipped prior to the patch. On log in, one had the weapons equipped, the other had the weapons in the mail.
What we do know is that this has affected certain classes where there was a weapon change.
Monks – default spec is Windwalker, so two swords were sent.
Death Knight – default spec is Unholy, however, Frost is now dual-wield, so DKs were sent two one-handed weapons.
Warrior – default spec WAS Arms, however, it seems now Fury is the spec of choice… so two two-handed weapons were sent.
Hunter – default spec should be Beast Mastery, however, since Survival is melee, a pole-arm was sent.
Hunters were also presented with a surprise. Their beloved Brunnhildar Bow has been changed from a white quality item to green quality, making it no longer allowed for challengers. The worst part is that on logging in, characters will have their stats and gear adjusted which will cause them to be flagged.
What We Are Going To Do
Very shortly, I’m going to be running a job that will inspect all listed characters. I don’t want to get into the specifics but at the end of the day, we’ll be making exceptions for any character that was listed so your characters *should not* be flagged because of these unexpected features.
After the Job is Done
The job is going to take a few hours and I will need some time to ensure character data is still valid. There might be some folks still getting flagged… if this is you, please let me know but overall I think the job / exceptions should cover everything.
We are currently not accepting new characters or allowing existing characters to be updated due to behind-the-scenes maintenance related to the Legion Pre-Patch being deployed on Tuesday July 19 2016.
Once the servers are back up we’ll be working hard to get the site up as quickly as possible, however, there is very likely a risk it will not be up for EU challengers until at least July 20 (the date Blizzard is rolling out the Pre-Patch to EU).
Thank you for your patience and we’ll see you on the other side!
3rd Annual Running of the Gnomes
- Organized by the folks at the Looking For Roleplay podcast, Turwinkle, Tarcanus and Dravvie.
- Being held TODAY (RIGHT NOW!!!) starting on the Scarlet Crusade US server at 5pm SERVER TIME (Pacific).
- Lots more info at her twitter account: @Dravvie
*Stone and Leeta discuss their latest adventures in WoW.
- Hallow’s End
- Patch 6.2.3
- Minor Rules Update – Warlords Dungeons/Raids
- Crusader Leveling Contest
- Addon In Development
- Iron Man Lite
- Challenger Updates
Emails / Audios / Social Media
Submissions from Alisaunder, Wingy, Xortz, LilindWoW and Gregory.
You can contact the show by email – firstname.lastname@example.org
We’re on Facebook.com/WoWChallenges
Check out the show on YouTube.com/WoWChallenges1
And remember come catch us LIVE at Connectcast.tv/Stone
You can reach Stone on Twitter @WoWChallenges
Next Show – Saturday November 21st 2015 @7pm EST
This morning we hit 1,000 challengers and the credit goes out to all of you: the veterans, the podcasters, the WoW Community and all of our new challengers! I am just one person among you; I’m a guy that loves this challenge, and while I’m not a veteran, I am absolutely dedicated to the community that was, is and can be. Thank you so much to everyone for the support, it’s truly greatly appreciated! We were sitting around 150 or so challengers when the WoWChallenges.com site came online and we began actively pursuing help to “spread the word”.
At the time of this post we’re actually at 1,014 and is split up between all three challenges: 913 Irons, 37 Pacifists, 64 Blood Thirsties. I’ve broken down the stats on the Irons alone as there are not really enough Pacifists and Blood Thirsties to start breaking those ones down yet. We currently have 486 Irons ALIVE with 446 of those green-flagged. We’ve got 150 dead and another 277 lost to the nether (this means the challenge was attempted and then the character was deleted). Why do I count those that are dead or lost? We honour (Canadian spelling, eh!) everyone that attempts the challenge, successful or not.
I do have two new challenges I’m eventually going to introduce, I just need to work out the details. If you’ve been following my streams / episodes or know me, you’ll know which ones I’m talking about.
I’ve listed these folks out on the About Us page but I wanted to call it out here again since this is a huge milestone for us. If I have missed anyone, please don’t take it as a slight… I’m only one person and can’t be everywhere; if you’ve heard of us on a podcast that isn’t mentioned here or in the About Us section, please let me know immediately and I’ll add you!
- Alt:ernative Chat – http://alternative-blog.net
- The Blue Recluse – http://thebluerecluse.eu/
- Cinder Says – http://cindersays.net/
- The Converted – http://convertedpodcast.com
- Ctrl-Alt-WoW – http://ctrlaltwow.podbean.com
- Epic Geeks & Geeks of Azeroth – http://www.epicgeeks.co.uk/
- Girls Gone WoW – http://girlsgonewow.net/
- The Meeting Zone – http://themeetingstone.com
- Pwncast Podcast – http://www.pwncast.net/
- Realm Maintenance – http://realm-maintenance.com/
- The Starting Zone – http://thestartingzone.com
- Tauren Think Tank – http://taurenthinktank.com/
- Your WoW Money Cast – http://yourwowmoney.com/
It was pointed out to me that there were a few challengers (not many) that had used heirloom gear in a manner that could avoid detection. A somewhat convoluted method was created to detect when heirloom gear is being used and appropriately flag the character. I don’t want to go into the details of what or how we’re detecting the gear, just that we are… if you ever have the urge to use heirloom gear, don’t. Don’t create it from your Heirloom tab and don’t bother mailing it in from another character.
When the heirloom gear is detected that character is going to be permanently flagged, so even if you delete the toon and relist it using allowed gear, you’ll still be flagged. I have no way around this.
I have made a request to Blizzard to make some new statistics available that will make my life VERY easy and also eliminate this method of cheating, but who knows if that’ll ever happen… I don’t know what goes into collecting those kind of stats on their end and I’m sure they have more important things to do than to listen to me whine.
If you feel your character was inappropriately or incorrectly flagged, please let me know. If you inadvertently used heirlooms and want me to reset the flag on your character, you will first need to delete your character, create a new one with the same name and get it to Level 10. Send me an email or post in the support forums and I will check it out.
As you might know the old wowironman.com website also had dedicated forums run by Ironlord. Unfortunately, with the demise of the old site, maintenance of the forums also fell by the wayside. We were lucky enough that the forums didn’t get swamped by trolls or spammers, so they’ve been pretty much left unscathed.
As interest in the challenge has seen a resurgence (due mostly to all of you!) it was increasingly a concern of mine that we had zero admins or moderators to step in if needed. I reached out to Ironlord, who responded with transferring admin / ownership of the site to me. I want to give him a HUGE thank you for doing and doing it so quickly.
I’ve made a number of changes to help open up and better organize the forums:
– Guests are now allowed to view / read the forums. They must still register / login in order to post. This was a pet peeve of mine… doing this will open the community up to the greater WoW population. They’ll be able to see tips and tricks, class discussions, strategies and so on without needing to login.
– Class Discussions and Tips & Tricks are now out in the open instead of being buried as sub-boards in the General forum. There is a lot of great information here that needs to be easily accessible.
– Realm discussion boards have been moved into their own category. This is just better for organization.
– There is a new Support & Technical Issues forum for folks to post their issues in. Any outstanding / unresolved issue will be stickied so folks can find it easily and see that I’m aware of the problem.
– I’ve changed the default theme of the forums to a darker colour to be more in-line with the WoWChallenges.com website. Veteran members will still see the old default version, however, they can change their theme by editing their profile.
– There is a new high-contrast theme that I’m hoping will help folks with vision-impairment. This one might be tweaked here and there until we can get it just right.
– All former moderators, global moderators and admins have been demoted to regular users as they haven’t logged in since 2012. Having stagnant accounts in position of authority opens the door for potential hacks and problems down the road. I will eventually be asking folks to help me moderate the forums as things get busier.
– Advertisements are gone. I really despise advertisements in forums… they’re very distracting. I’m paying the Ad-Free fee to ProBoards for the time being.
I’m hoping these changes will make our forums much more open, easier to use, and encourage more folks from the WoW community to participate. If there are any changes, please drop me a message.
As some of you may know I used to stream on Twitch a while ago… most recently maybe 6-7 months ago with no problems. Now suddenly Twitch gives me headaches… I can no longer stream and watch my own stream and folks watching my hi-def stream also report it being choppy. Having gone through ALL the motions… all the different fixes, changes, dns tweaks, firewall rules, EVERYTHING… There is an argument whether this issue is due to my ISP throttling or Twitch’s servers having problems… but essentially I’ve come to the conclusion that Twitch is the problem for me as I’ve eliminated my ISP as being an issue. Twitch is no longer for me.
I moved on to ConnectCast and found the quality AMAZING! No problems to set up a stream. No problems viewing my own stream in high resolution… zero trouble.
ConnectCast has graciously approved my partner request so we can now embed our streams on the main site. I typically stream either my own Iron Man attempts or raiding with our guild. Thank you so much to ConnectCast for the approval! I’m looking forward to a long and rewarding partnership! 🙂
You can check out our stream on ConnectCast at http://connectcast.tv/Stone. You can either view our streams there or come to the site… I’ll have it appear on the main page when we are streaming Iron Man material.
I should be continuing on with my Iron Man stream fairly soon… I’ve just had some real life things come up (like my son’s birthday!).
I removed the banner and put up a very simplified crest along with visually defined sections for each challenge and links in general. I smushed (too bad, that’s a word!) the Challenge rankings down so that they’d appear over top one another… top 10 for Iron Man and top 5 for Pacifist and Blood Thirsty. You may have noticed that I also renamed the Grinder challenge to Blood Thirsty. The new name relates much more to the challenge itself… you are going around Azeroth (and beyond) and killing everything in your path.
I’ve changed the top 5 Level 100s to now show a random challenge victor. I’ll be saving all challenge victors to a DB for posterity, so as World of Warcraft continues to put out expansions, our previous victors will still be honoured. New challenge victors will be featured here on the main page.
I’ve installed WordPress to help with my article / blog posts… at this point I’m not sure if I’m going to enable comments or not… I would like to be able to enable them with some kind of single-sign-on method… like an option to use Google+ or Facebook, etc.
As always, if there are any new challenges you’d like to see, please contact me by twitter @WoWChallenges or by email: james AT wowchallenges DOT com.