We made it through another year… or did we? The Feast of Winter Veil has arrived once again and will run from December 16, 2018, to January 2, 2019. You can find the full write-up from wowhead.com here: https://www.wowhead.com/feast-of-winter-veil-guide.
There are a number of daily quests that you’re allowed to do. Even the daily requiring you to loot the bag that drops after killing the Greench is okay. You can stand back and let others kill it as all you need to do is grab the bag… you do not need to tag the Greench. Please be warned though… a death is still a death and I’ve heard the Greench will one-shot Irons without a second thought.
Blood Thirsty Solo & Teams: Sorry, as usual, you feel the wrath of the Greench: all quests count against you.
Pacifists: We recommend you try quests out on a regular character and see if your Kills and Killing Blows get incremented.
There are many pieces of cosmetic gear that are obtainable: please be aware that any green or higher quality item equipped is not allowed. Yes, this includes the shirt and tabard slots. White-quality items are still okay but you should take care as some white-quality items have turned green (this will flag you).
Blood Thirsty Solo: Green cosmetic gear is okay for you!
Pacifists: It is okay for you to craft cosmetic items for auction house sales.
Green Man: Green gear is okay for you as well!
You are allowed to collect and use all the toys, however, you should be aware that equipping green, blue, or purple items will still red-flag you. There is a new toy this year called Toy Armor Set. This item is the 2018 holiday gift. When used it looks like it will equip an armor set made up of a Wooden Toy Helm and an Alliance or Horde Toy Cape, depending on your faction. These items may be green quality and have not been tested, use at your own risk.
There is quite a bit of food available, so I’ll only list the items that stand out as NOT ALLOWED.
- Sparkling Apple Cider – provides Stamina & Spirit buff.
- Honeyed Holiday Ham – provides Stamina & Spirit buff.
- Gingerbread Cookie – provides a Stamina buff.
- Winter Veil Egg Nog – provides a Stamina buff. Please do not confuse this with Winter Veil Eggnog (all one word).
- Hot Apple Cider – provides a Stamina & Spirit buff.
The Snowglobe, Mistletoe, Fresh Holly and Handful of Snowflakes
All these should be okay to use. We’re not aware of any buff that would normally flag your challenger. As always, if you’re not sure, do some testing on a regular character before using items on your challenger. Flags will not be reversed.
Catching Greatfather Winter
This is an allowed activity on all challengers and will award you 500 Class Order Hall resources. It is not yet clear whether this will count as a quest for Blood Thirsty challengers, so be cautious.
Warlords Savage Gift
The Savage Gift is obtained from Izzy Hollyfizzle, located in your garrison and might contain the Minion of Grumpus mount. It also contains Apexis Crystals, Oil, Garrison Resources, Frozen Arms of a Hero, Elixir of the Rapid Mind, Medallion of the Legion.
- The Frozen Arms of a Hero is okay to use on your followers.
- The Elixir of the Rapid Mind is NOT ALLOWED to be used for your Challenge characters. You are, however, allowed to auction it or send it to another non-Challenge character for faster leveling.
- The Medallion of the Legion this is an item that grants you reputation. While you can unlock reps, the items that become available may not fall within the challenge rules.
We all know what we’re really excited about for Winter Veil, right? It’s the PRESENTS!!! All challengers, except for Blood Thirsty Solo & Teams, are allowed to open the gifts Greatfather Winter leaves you under the tree. The gifts are available December 25th through January 2nd. Please beware of the following items, as they are NOT ALLOWED for your Challenger.
- Winter Veil Cookie – provides a buff to all stats.
- Mechanical Greench – summons a companion to help you in fights.
- Schematic: Snowmaster 9000 – only allowed to be learned & crafted (BUT NOT USED) for Pacifists.
- Formula: Enchant Weapon – Winter’s Might – only allowed to be learned & sold (BUT NOT USED) for Pacifists.
- Pattern: Gloves of the Greatfather – only allowed to be learned and crafted (BUT NOT USED) for Pacifists.
- Recipe: Elixir of Frost Power – only allowed to be learned and crafted (BUT NOT USED) for Pacifists.
- Pattern: Green Holiday Shirt – Any character can wear the crafted item, however, only Pacifists are allowed to learn & craft it.
- Plans: Edge of Winter – only allowed to be learned and crafted (BUT NOT USED) for Pacifists.
As always, if you’re not sure or think the information here needs updating, please let me know. You can reach me on Twitter, the forums or by email.
Images used with permission from Wowhead.com