This past week (end?), the WoW Challenges site and the Iron Man challenge were discussed on two new podcasts. Alt, of Alt:ernative Blog fame, spoke of the Iron Man challenge along with host Mick Montgomery on Episode 117. She outlined what the challenge truly is… another game within “THE GAME”. Bored of your Garrisons? Tired of mount farming? Try to complete the challenge! Please give the show a listen, they’re both good people and are great to listen to. I believe they have their episodes uploaded to Youtube as well.
You can follow both on Twitter: Mick @mickmontgomery and Alt @AlternativeChat.
This week our own Iron Man @Asyluun joined the folks from Girls Gone WoW to talk about the challenge. @Ottahz and Marie (@mbuhtz) both tried the challenge for research for the show. It was great to hear Asy’s voice for the first time and hear another podcast give the challenge a whirl. As they all discussed, this challenge is not for the faint of heart! You can hear the chatter in episode 178 and follow Girls Gone WoW on twitter @GGWShow.
I want to thank BOTH shows for helping us out by discussing the challenge and plugging the sites. If we can do anything, please let me know. I would gladly talk about the challenge (or pretty much anything else in WoW… I’m an avid mount collector and raider) on either of your shows.
It was pointed out to me that there were a few challengers (not many) that had used heirloom gear in a manner that could avoid detection. A somewhat convoluted method was created to detect when heirloom gear is being used and appropriately flag the character. I don’t want to go into the details of what or how we’re detecting the gear, just that we are… if you ever have the urge to use heirloom gear, don’t. Don’t create it from your Heirloom tab and don’t bother mailing it in from another character.
When the heirloom gear is detected that character is going to be permanently flagged, so even if you delete the toon and relist it using allowed gear, you’ll still be flagged. I have no way around this.
I have made a request to Blizzard to make some new statistics available that will make my life VERY easy and also eliminate this method of cheating, but who knows if that’ll ever happen… I don’t know what goes into collecting those kind of stats on their end and I’m sure they have more important things to do than to listen to me whine.
If you feel your character was inappropriately or incorrectly flagged, please let me know. If you inadvertently used heirlooms and want me to reset the flag on your character, you will first need to delete your character, create a new one with the same name and get it to Level 10. Send me an email or post in the support forums and I will check it out.
As you might know the old wowironman.com website also had dedicated forums run by Ironlord. Unfortunately, with the demise of the old site, maintenance of the forums also fell by the wayside. We were lucky enough that the forums didn’t get swamped by trolls or spammers, so they’ve been pretty much left unscathed.
As interest in the challenge has seen a resurgence (due mostly to all of you!) it was increasingly a concern of mine that we had zero admins or moderators to step in if needed. I reached out to Ironlord, who responded with transferring admin / ownership of the site to me. I want to give him a HUGE thank you for doing and doing it so quickly.
I’ve made a number of changes to help open up and better organize the forums:
– Guests are now allowed to view / read the forums. They must still register / login in order to post. This was a pet peeve of mine… doing this will open the community up to the greater WoW population. They’ll be able to see tips and tricks, class discussions, strategies and so on without needing to login.
– Class Discussions and Tips & Tricks are now out in the open instead of being buried as sub-boards in the General forum. There is a lot of great information here that needs to be easily accessible.
– Realm discussion boards have been moved into their own category. This is just better for organization.
– There is a new Support & Technical Issues forum for folks to post their issues in. Any outstanding / unresolved issue will be stickied so folks can find it easily and see that I’m aware of the problem.
– I’ve changed the default theme of the forums to a darker colour to be more in-line with the WoWChallenges.com website. Veteran members will still see the old default version, however, they can change their theme by editing their profile.
– There is a new high-contrast theme that I’m hoping will help folks with vision-impairment. This one might be tweaked here and there until we can get it just right.
– All former moderators, global moderators and admins have been demoted to regular users as they haven’t logged in since 2012. Having stagnant accounts in position of authority opens the door for potential hacks and problems down the road. I will eventually be asking folks to help me moderate the forums as things get busier.
– Advertisements are gone. I really despise advertisements in forums… they’re very distracting. I’m paying the Ad-Free fee to ProBoards for the time being.
I’m hoping these changes will make our forums much more open, easier to use, and encourage more folks from the WoW community to participate. If there are any changes, please drop me a message.
Iron Man Challenge
on Nov 1 2014, 00:00:00 Pacific
|Lyssan||Priest||100||us - Vek'nilash|
|Xayaforsi||Hunter||100||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Ferrenys||Druid||100||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Ironashs||Druid||100||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Ferreskye||Priest||99||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
- Killing Blow Pct Too Low (19.74 %)
- Dungeons / Raid bosses killed / completed (55)
|Grayarcher||Hunter||99||us - Aerie Peak|
|Jernmand||Hunter||96||eu - Earthen Ring|
|Fiveironxlix||Hunter||90||us - Shu'halo|
|Ferriona||Druid||90||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Toxicat||Druid||90||us - Alexstrasza|
- You have 2 kills... no kills are allowed!
|Crystaltear||Monk||90||eu - Darksorrow|
- You have 3191 kills... no kills are allowed!
|Faeryl||Rogue||55||eu - Earthen Ring|
|Tialaria||Rogue||54||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
- Killing Blow Pct Too High (34,700.00 %)
|Pachifian||Druid||49||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Ferreilean||Druid||37||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
- Kills granting Experience is too low. (0 / 2526.5)
|Crystaltear||Monk||90||eu - Darksorrow|
|Bentgrinder||Monk||64||us - Terenas|
|Irongrinderf||Monk||58||us - Shu'halo|
- Kills granting Experience is too low. (544 / 1324.5)
|Irongrinderk||Monk||48||us - Wyrmrest Accord|
|Astraz||Hunter||41||us - Wyrmrest Accord|